Saturday, June 20, 2009

Kung Fu Panda Review, Part 1.

I watched Kung Fu Panda the other day.
For those of you that haven’t seen Kung Fu Panda: If you are a Kung Fu movie fan, see it. Awesome visuals.

But with that said, I don’t know if would want to plop this movie in the DVD player and let my kids watch it unsupervised.

Here’s why:
1 - Because of the way The Evil Tiger becomes evil.
2 - Because of the message, ‘Something is special when you believe it’s special’

Let’s look at these two reasons:
The Tiger becomes The Evil Tiger because he trains all his life to become a perfect warrior, and then when it is time to be named the perfect warrior, The Wise Turtle says, ‘Yeah... You’re not the perfect warrior’.

On hearing this news, The Tiger becomes The Evil Tiger and wreaks the town where he lives.

Now, if a person or Tiger gets bad news, I don’t recommend wreaking the town. I don’t think that’s right. It’s wrong.

But I would like to point out, that maybe The Wise Turtle wasn’t so wise.

I mean, Wise Turtle knew Tiger his whole life. Wise Turtle could have said, ‘Hey there, Tiger... you’ve been training kind of hard. Maybe you should take Saturday off, go into town, meet a nice girl Tiger? Maybe you and her could go out, have some beers, take in a movie, maybe see what happens?’

I’m just saying, The Wise Turle may have been ‘The Wise Turtle’, but he wasn’t ‘The Good Friend Turtle’.
If I have a good friend and have to tell him bad news, I kind of dress it up a little bit.

For example, suppose I have a friend, and his girl his cheating on him. I don’t just walk up to the guy on Friday at five and say, ‘Hey, that girl you’ve been seeing for three years. Yeah, it’s all around the office: She likes the Mail-Room guy now.’

I don’t say stuff like that, because I am a good friend. I say stuff like, ‘Hey, that girl you’ve been seeing for some time... I don’t thing she is right for you... yeah.. maybe you want to see what else if out there...’. The right thing to do is drop a few hints, get the guy thinking about other options.

Wise Turtle could have done the same thing. Could have said, ‘Hey, Pal, this perfect warrior thing isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Hours are long, you have to train all the time. Lots of fights. No pension. I’m thinking maybe you want to try accounting... Hours are good. You’d still have time to hit the gym. No pressure. Just something to think about.’

No comments: